Clark's Eye on Books

Clark I reviews books and sometimes writes them!

Living with Goats
Author: Margaret Hathaway, Photographs by Karl Schatz
ISBN: 978-1-59921-492-4, Pages: 198, $24.95, Publication Date: October 1, 2009, Hardcover, Non-Fiction, Published by The Lyons Press, an imprint of Globe Pequot Press

August is National Goat Cheese Month! There are many recipes for making goat cheese on the internet, but the best way to obtain this delicacy is from your neighborhood grocery store. Goats are people-friendly and historically important for the three major religions. In the spring all these sects are often highlighted by their celebrations involving goats or goat meat (Chevon).

Living with Goats by Margaret Hathaway is being published October 1, 2009 and is an excellent resource book for those who want to raise either dairy or meat goats. Finding good information about goats is very difficult if you do not have access to the internet. Few books are desk reference manuals where you can look up sites and suppliers of unique materials related to goat raising. This book is clearly that manual.

The “How To-s” in this book relate to testing for diseases, what to look for in buying goats, and how to connect with an experienced mentor that will ease the selection process.

A short-coming of the book is it does not specifically get into the treatment of problems encountered by the novice goat herder, but does send the reader scurrying to obtain more information. Experienced Veterinarians take courses relating to goats, however, very few have been exposed to daily treatment. Establishing a goat facility for either dairy or meat production and interviewing the right Veterinarian is vital for keeping the herd healthy.

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I need a goat. I can't afford a gardener anymore and I found out I suck at keeping my tiny patch of lawn under control. The backyard is all pool, no problem there. I have a friend who is willing to loan me her goat, but I wonder how the cats will react? I mean, they're very territorial and they DO like the long grass. They believe I've created a jungle for them. And the pool is their watering hole.

In case anyone is wondering, I have 5 cats and feed three strays. Yes, potential cat-lady here.
One of the goat herders we visited had several cats, 60 goats, chickens, mules, sheep, and were the nicest people you would every want to meet. We gave away a couple of bicycles to one of the people on Kingman Freecycle last night and guess what, they knew our friendly goat herder. In fact we had quite a discussion about goats then. What a small world this is. This fellow delivers the hay to the people for the goats. The State of Arizona rents goats for $50 per day to get rid of weeds.

What a small world this is!!!!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Clark Isaacs.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service